Snoring is a topic that is well known to many of us and our spouses. If you have tried all of the pillows, mouth guards and gadgets advertised, you may want to try these simple and effective suggestions so that you can get a really good night’s rest .
Here are our choices for the most effective essential oils for snoring. Sage, Thyme, Marjoram, Lavender, and Cedarwood.
Diffusers are really a terrific way to use the following essential oils at night time.
One of the best things about sage oil is the effect that it can have on the respiratory tracts. It can relieve inflammation, while also helping to quickly soothe sinus infections, making it an effective solution for acute snoring that is caused by a temporary illness.
How to Use – You can blend 5 drops of sage oil in 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and rub it on your chest or neck before going to sleep. This can help clear out your sinuses while you sleep and boost your immune system against the underlying infection. (Also, great for hot flashes 😊)
Another really great way to use this oil is to add 4-5 drops to your diffuser.
If your snoring often causes you to wake up multiple times per night, you may need to find a deeper level of sleep! Thyme oil is known to soothe the body and nervous system, leading to uninterrupted and deeper sleep, which is really important if you want to get rid of your snoring.
How to Use – Mix equal parts thyme oil with olive oil and apply it to the wrists and the bottom of the feet before you go to sleep.
You can also add thyme oil to your diffuser for use during the night.
This legendary essential oil can be used for everything from sleeplessness to cardiovascular problems and specifically addresses many of the causes of snoring. This oil is among the most popular natural remedies for snoring.
How to Use – Some people choose to place a few drops of this essential oil on their pillow at night to promote clear breathing and stress-free sleep.
Diffusing is one of the most effective ways to use this oil. Add 4-5 drops into your diffuser before bed time.
By stimulating both the immune and respiratory systems, this oil can quickly counter the factors that lead to snoring. It can reduce inflammation to keep the airways open and calm the mind to deliver higher-quality sleep.
How to Use – This underused oil can be blended with thyme oil, lavender oil and coconut oil then applied to the neck, chest, wrists or feet before bed.
This sinus-clearing oil has been wildly popular in traditional medicine for its ability to stop snoring – often after only a few nights of regular use. Armed with antioxidants and stimulating active ingredients, this oil is closely linked with treatment for sleep apnea, which is one of the main causes of snoring.
How to Use – Mix 4-5 drops of marjoram oil with 1 teaspoon of a carrier oil and apply it to the outer rim of the nostrils, or directly above the top lip. If that is too intense of an aroma, simply apply it to the neck and chest before sleep.
If you would like to share your success story with us please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not use this information as a substitute for medial care.
Tea tree is one of the most useful essential oils available.
It is really interesting and important to know that what we call “Tea Tree” essential oil is more accurately known as “Melaleuca Alternifolia”, which is Latin. It’s called Tea Tree because historically the leaves were used to make medicinal tea.
The essential oil come from steam distilling these leaves and extracting a very powerful camphorous oil. This concentrated Tea tree oil is toxic when taken by mouth but very useful when used topically with a carrier oil or by diffusing.
There are actually over 290 different species of Melaleuca. The plants themselves range from a shrub to trees over 100 feet tall. They are diverse but all have common medicinal values.
Here are 3 essential oils from the Malaleuca family:
Melaleuca Alternifolia = Tea Tree Essential Oil – This is Australia’s go to oil for antibacterial and medicinal properties. It’s scent is quite camphorous and it is to be used with caution on the skin because of its strong antimicrobial properties. Here are some facts and uses for Tea Tree Essential Oil.
- It naturally eliminates body odor
- It holds lice at bay and removes ongoing infestation in the hair. (We had sent some Tea Tree Essential Oil to an orphanage in Mexico that had a lice infestation. We were pleased to hear that it was eradicated within a week of adding this oil to shampoos, liquid soaps and laundry detergents.)
- Have an unsightly cold sore? Tea Tree oil calms the pain helps the sore heal faster. Mix tea tree oil with coconut oil and apply daily for best results.
- Tea Tree’s antimicrobial properties helps kill off parasites and fungi that cause foot odor and athlete’s foot. Dilute the oil in coconut carrier oil, and dab affected areas.
- Adding Tea Tree Essential Oil to a home diffuser can help eliminate spores, while spraying tea tree based cleaner on areas that often get moldy –shower door or curtain, washing machine and bathroom surfaces –will help you stay mold and mildew free.
Melaleuca quinquenervia = Niaouli Essential Oil
- As it has very similar therapeutic effects and is gentler to the skin than tea tree oil, Niaouli oil is the best choice for those with sensitive skin. Niaouli essential oil’s disinfecting properties help your body fight infection while stimulating the components that help to heal the skin.
- It has a sweeter yet more antiseptic fragrance, and can be used in addition to or in place of Tea Tree, with less tendency to irritate the skin.
Melaleuca cajuputi = Cajuput Essential Oil
- Cajeput has some properties similar to those found in Eucalyptus (from the Eucalyptol) and Lemon (from the limonene).
- This is a great oil to use in place of or with Tea Tree or Eucalyptus.
- Cajeput contains higher concentrations of 1,8 Cineole (Eucalyptol), limonene and alpha-Terpineol. Tea tree oil contains more Terpinen-4-ol and gamma-Terpinene.
As always, Safety first! The most effective way to use essential oils is by inhalation or topical use with a carrier oil. Never ever ingest essential oils as this is an unsafe practice that can lead to serious injury and organ damage.
Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Orange
There are several common elements with the citrus essential oils.
- Limonene content
- Cold pressed
- Derived from the fruit peel
LIMONENE is the main constituent of citrus essential oils.
- For you chemists, Limonene is formed from geranyl pyrophosphate, via cyclization of a neryl carbocation or its equivalent. The final step involves loss of a proton from the cation to form the alkene. HAHAHAHAHA. True Story. I just wanted you to think that I was smart
- For the rest of us, Limonene or D-Limonene, is a terpene which is an amazing natural compound. It has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, offers assistance for a variety of metabolic and health problems, has anti-cancer properties, and even helps with weight management.
REAP THE BENEFITS OF THE ANTIOXIDENTS IN CITRUS.
- One of the most recognized benefits of citrus essential oils is their positive effect on the lymphatic system, which plays a role in your body’s detoxification mechanism.
- Using these oils can help boost the activity of lymph glands. This can prevent problems like poor circulation, allergies, cellulite and fluid retention.
- The biggest problems with limonene are “allergies / and “irritations of the skin, eyes, lungs.” The older the essential oil is the more likely it will become oxidized and rancid and the more likely there will be an adverse reaction.
- Citrus oils are a top note in aromatherapy. They dissipate very quickly. The scent does not last very long.
- To have the citrus essential oils last for any period of time and be fresh you must keep them sealed as much as possible. For those who have testers you will need to check them for freshness.
- Citrus fruits contain compounds that make skin more light sensitive.
- When going out on a sunny day be cautious when mixing citrus essential oils into products as you could very easily have sensitivity issues because of them.
- When using topically always always use a carrier oil.
- And ….. for the love of Pete do not drink citrus essential oils no matter who or what MLM tells you that it is ok. We are seeing esophagus burns, liver and kidney damage. If 1 drop equals 40lbs of plant material who in their right mind would eat 40 lbs of grapefruits or oranges.
RANDOM FUN FACTS:
- GRAPEFRUIT: is my go to oil when someone wants to get rid of cellulite, to remove excess fluids, help burn fat or as an appetite suppressant. Mix with a carrier oil and massage onto area. When inhaled, grapefruit oil is great for hangovers, headaches, mental fatigue and depression.
- Several new studies have found limonene in citrus oils to have anti-tumor effects, preventing the growth of many types of tumors.
- NOTHING cleans grease and dirt better than limonene. Add about 20 drops of your favorite citrus essential oil to your dish soap, your liquid hand soap or your bucket of cleaning water.
- Orange essential oil is one of the best oils to use as a deodorant or room freshener.
- With the allergy season approaching it is good to know that citrus fruits and citrus essential oils are natural anti-histamines. Mosquitos absolutely hate citrus oils too.
- Topical application of Citrus essential oils and eating copious amount of citrus fruits are the 1st go to for gout sufferers.
- Citrus essential oils are usually the least expensive of the essential oils because they are fairly easy to make.
This is our GCMS Testing Analysis for Lemon Essential Oil from Argentina: Citrus Limon (L) Burm
- One of the most exciting things for Rob and I as Certified Aromatherapists is to have the constituent data available.
- We are one of the only companies that can provide you with proof of quality essential oils that are used for those who want the reassurance that they are getting high grade products.
- We do not use or offer you oils that do not meet qualifications for a complete oil.
- Thanks for taking time to read this information. Some are printing it and putting it into a binder for education purposes.
CELEBRATION TIME: Rob and I are now officially qualified to teach courses from The Canadian Holistic Therapist Training School in Toronto. We are also new members of the CHFA (Canadian Health Food Association) and we are now CLCA designated as Associate members of the Essential Oil Safety Board Inc. Thanks for all of your encouragement.
COMING SOON: ACCREDITTED CERTIFICATION COURSE
ESSENTIAL OIL SAFETY COST $395.00 +gst
We will be offering this course on site as well as online.