Tea tree is one of the most useful essential oils available.
It is really interesting and important to know that what we call “Tea Tree” essential oil is more accurately known as “Melaleuca Alternifolia”, which is Latin. It’s called Tea Tree because historically the leaves were used to make medicinal tea.
The essential oil come from steam distilling these leaves and extracting a very powerful camphorous oil. This concentrated Tea tree oil is toxic when taken by mouth but very useful when used topically with a carrier oil or by diffusing.
There are actually over 290 different species of Melaleuca. The plants themselves range from a shrub to trees over 100 feet tall. They are diverse but all have common medicinal values.
Here are 3 essential oils from the Malaleuca family:
Melaleuca Alternifolia = Tea Tree Essential Oil – This is Australia’s go to oil for antibacterial and medicinal properties. It’s scent is quite camphorous and it is to be used with caution on the skin because of its strong antimicrobial properties. Here are some facts and uses for Tea Tree Essential Oil.
- It naturally eliminates body odor
- It holds lice at bay and removes ongoing infestation in the hair. (We had sent some Tea Tree Essential Oil to an orphanage in Mexico that had a lice infestation. We were pleased to hear that it was eradicated within a week of adding this oil to shampoos, liquid soaps and laundry detergents.)
- Have an unsightly cold sore? Tea Tree oil calms the pain helps the sore heal faster. Mix tea tree oil with coconut oil and apply daily for best results.
- Tea Tree’s antimicrobial properties helps kill off parasites and fungi that cause foot odor and athlete’s foot. Dilute the oil in coconut carrier oil, and dab affected areas.
- Adding Tea Tree Essential Oil to a home diffuser can help eliminate spores, while spraying tea tree based cleaner on areas that often get moldy –shower door or curtain, washing machine and bathroom surfaces –will help you stay mold and mildew free.
Melaleuca quinquenervia = Niaouli Essential Oil
- As it has very similar therapeutic effects and is gentler to the skin than tea tree oil, Niaouli oil is the best choice for those with sensitive skin. Niaouli essential oil’s disinfecting properties help your body fight infection while stimulating the components that help to heal the skin.
- It has a sweeter yet more antiseptic fragrance, and can be used in addition to or in place of Tea Tree, with less tendency to irritate the skin.
Melaleuca cajuputi = Cajuput Essential Oil
- Cajeput has some properties similar to those found in Eucalyptus (from the Eucalyptol) and Lemon (from the limonene).
- This is a great oil to use in place of or with Tea Tree or Eucalyptus.
- Cajeput contains higher concentrations of 1,8 Cineole (Eucalyptol), limonene and alpha-Terpineol. Tea tree oil contains more Terpinen-4-ol and gamma-Terpinene.
As always, Safety first! The most effective way to use essential oils is by inhalation or topical use with a carrier oil. Never ever ingest essential oils as this is an unsafe practice that can lead to serious injury and organ damage.
Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Orange
There are several common elements with the citrus essential oils.
- Limonene content
- Cold pressed
- Derived from the fruit peel
LIMONENE is the main constituent of citrus essential oils.
- For you chemists, Limonene is formed from geranyl pyrophosphate, via cyclization of a neryl carbocation or its equivalent. The final step involves loss of a proton from the cation to form the alkene. HAHAHAHAHA. True Story. I just wanted you to think that I was smart
- For the rest of us, Limonene or D-Limonene, is a terpene which is an amazing natural compound. It has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, offers assistance for a variety of metabolic and health problems, has anti-cancer properties, and even helps with weight management.
REAP THE BENEFITS OF THE ANTIOXIDENTS IN CITRUS.
- One of the most recognized benefits of citrus essential oils is their positive effect on the lymphatic system, which plays a role in your body’s detoxification mechanism.
- Using these oils can help boost the activity of lymph glands. This can prevent problems like poor circulation, allergies, cellulite and fluid retention.
- The biggest problems with limonene are “allergies / and “irritations of the skin, eyes, lungs.” The older the essential oil is the more likely it will become oxidized and rancid and the more likely there will be an adverse reaction.
- Citrus oils are a top note in aromatherapy. They dissipate very quickly. The scent does not last very long.
- To have the citrus essential oils last for any period of time and be fresh you must keep them sealed as much as possible. For those who have testers you will need to check them for freshness.
- Citrus fruits contain compounds that make skin more light sensitive.
- When going out on a sunny day be cautious when mixing citrus essential oils into products as you could very easily have sensitivity issues because of them.
- When using topically always always use a carrier oil.
- And ….. for the love of Pete do not drink citrus essential oils no matter who or what MLM tells you that it is ok. We are seeing esophagus burns, liver and kidney damage. If 1 drop equals 40lbs of plant material who in their right mind would eat 40 lbs of grapefruits or oranges.
RANDOM FUN FACTS:
- GRAPEFRUIT: is my go to oil when someone wants to get rid of cellulite, to remove excess fluids, help burn fat or as an appetite suppressant. Mix with a carrier oil and massage onto area. When inhaled, grapefruit oil is great for hangovers, headaches, mental fatigue and depression.
- Several new studies have found limonene in citrus oils to have anti-tumor effects, preventing the growth of many types of tumors.
- NOTHING cleans grease and dirt better than limonene. Add about 20 drops of your favorite citrus essential oil to your dish soap, your liquid hand soap or your bucket of cleaning water.
- Orange essential oil is one of the best oils to use as a deodorant or room freshener.
- With the allergy season approaching it is good to know that citrus fruits and citrus essential oils are natural anti-histamines. Mosquitos absolutely hate citrus oils too.
- Topical application of Citrus essential oils and eating copious amount of citrus fruits are the 1st go to for gout sufferers.
- Citrus essential oils are usually the least expensive of the essential oils because they are fairly easy to make.
This is our GCMS Testing Analysis for Lemon Essential Oil from Argentina: Citrus Limon (L) Burm
- One of the most exciting things for Rob and I as Certified Aromatherapists is to have the constituent data available.
- We are one of the only companies that can provide you with proof of quality essential oils that are used for those who want the reassurance that they are getting high grade products.
- We do not use or offer you oils that do not meet qualifications for a complete oil.
- Thanks for taking time to read this information. Some are printing it and putting it into a binder for education purposes.
CELEBRATION TIME: Rob and I are now officially qualified to teach courses from The Canadian Holistic Therapist Training School in Toronto. We are also new members of the CHFA (Canadian Health Food Association) and we are now CLCA designated as Associate members of the Essential Oil Safety Board Inc. Thanks for all of your encouragement.
COMING SOON: ACCREDITTED CERTIFICATION COURSE
ESSENTIAL OIL SAFETY COST $395.00 +gst
We will be offering this course on site as well as online.