Citronella Essential Oil is a wonderful essential oil that has a well-rounded lemony scent. It definitely is recognizable in many outdoor sprays and candles. Our Pure Joy Naturals Citronella is a highly concentrated plant oil that contains high potency constituents.
Citronella oil is popularly used as an insect repellent. In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classifies it as a bio pesticide with a non-toxic mode of action.4 Citronella oil can be found in dozens of registered pesticide products, such as sprays, lotions, and candles. At times, it is added to sunscreen, wristbands, and flea collars.5
Citronella essential oil is one of the most common oils used in aromatherapy. It is said that as an aromatherapy oil, citronella can help treat and prevent colds, fevers, and headaches.7 As a massage oil, it may work in relieving pain in individuals suffering from arthritis. (Dr. Mercola)
- Botanical Name: Cymbopogon nardus
- Main Constituents: Geraniol: 55% Citronellol: 8.6%
- Plant Part: Leaves
- Origin: Sri Lanka
- Processing Method: Steam Distilled
- Description / Color / Consistency: A light pale yellow to yellowish brown liquid.
- Aromatic Summary / Note / Strength of Aroma: A top note of medium aroma, Citronella has a well-rounded lemony scent, though it is much softer and has subtle wood tones.
- Product Abstract: Citronella Oil is extracted from a resilient grass native to Sri Lanka and Java. It is a very aromatic perennial that grows approximately 1 meter (3 feet) in height. It is often used in combination with Cedarwood to produce pleasant-smelling patio candles and torches.
- Cautions: Dilute before use; for external use only. May cause skin irritation in some individuals, and should be avoided by those allergic to ragweed; a skin test is recommended prior to use, and contact with eyes should be avoided.
- Storage: It is recommended that oils packaged in metal containers (for safe shipping), be transferred into dark glass containers to maintain freshness and attain maximum shelf life.
Cautions: DO NOT DRINK essential oils. Dilute before use; may cause skin irritation in some individuals, so a skin test is recommended prior to use. Avoid contact with eyes. Keep out of reach of children. For best results Diffuse or use topically with a carrier oil.
Pure Joy Naturals provides this essential oils guide for educational purposes only and not as medical advice. Please consult a qualified healthcare practitioner or resource on essential oil uses, safety and precautions for all essential oils.